Wednesday, October 22, 2008

THE Rhubarb Pie

Well, sort of. I must explain:


Earlier this year when we were planting our garden, Erik brought home a Rhubarb plant. This is a childhood favorite of his, having grown up with such a Northern "raising." I tried to convince him that it would not grow here in the South, but he planted it anyway--right in the flower beds beside the house. I just rolled my eyes and thought "what a waste to time." Not only did it NOT die, but it actually thrived! I am still so surprised.


So, Monday Erik asks "What are you doing tomorrow?" I say "The usual, why?" He says "I'd like for you to make a Rhubarb pie." I immediately begin to sweat and feel the pressure mounting. No one around here makes rhubarb pie. I would not even know where to start. I've only had it once when we were visiting Aunt Karen in Wisconsin. There is no way I could make a pie to compare to hers. And I didn't.....


I went out to the garden, I mean the flower bed, to get the rhubarb and brought it in. Have you ever seen a rhubarb plant? If not, let me show you.



This is a rhubarb plant growing. The leaves are HUGE! And did I mention poisonous?



As I mentioned, the leaves are huge!




This is what rhubarb looks like when it is ripe and ready to use. Isn't it a beautiful pink?


As I begin to wash and cut the rhubarb, I realize that there is no way we have enough for pie. So, my Southern Living cookbook tells me I can add strawberries. Having no fresh strawberries, I do my best with the frozen ones. I knew immediately that Erik would be disappointed, but I hated for the pie to be totally wasted. It was ok, but nothing like Aunt Karen's pie.

So, an apology to my husband and a promise to try again next year.



The Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie (with 2 slices missing)





2 comments:

Amy said...

Hmmmm, very interesting. Yep! Like you said, no one in the South makes rhubarb pie-ha! I've heard of it, but have never had it. I'm sure yours turned out good anyway.

Christi said...

I just applaud you for trying. I'm sure you'll perfect it and one day one of your girls will be trying to make it "just like her momma did" for Daddy when she was a kid :)