Wednesday, October 15, 2008

National Day of Remembrance

Today, Oct. 15, is the National Day of Remembrance for pregnancy and infancy loss. As I sat last night and read some of the posts on a fellow blogger's website from countless mothers who have lost children my eyes swelled with tears. Angie, from Bring the Rain at http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/ , has had a profound impact on the lives of mothers suffering from the loss of children. Some of the mothers that posted were still grieving the loss of babies who did not survive in the womb for more than 5 weeks. Some people would not even have known that they were pregnant in that short of a time period, yet for some mothers that loss is still significant.

Other mothers delivered still born babies at 40 weeks while others lost newborns and infants to SIDS. The very thought of losing one of my children is more than my heart can handle. I don't know how, without the grace and peace of God, one survives such a traumatic event.

Last night's readings have been on my mind all day. And as if ordained by God, I get home from church tonight just in time to listen to the last of the Presidential debates. The moderator asks a question of both candidates concerning abortion. As I listened to Obama talk about supporting Roe v. Wade and how a woman's choice is more important than the life of an unborn child, I began to get sick. Physically and emotionally sick. My stomach ached as I thought about all of those women who had lost children due to no actions of their own and the grief that they felt.

Obama has voted against legislation that would require doctors to treat children born alive as the result of a botched abortion. His response tonight was that this legislation would not agree with Roe v. Wade. His reasoing, those babies are not really "persons." And the very idea of supporting partial-birth abortion is truly disgusting. Partial-birth abortion is a vile and evil practice. It is the very idea of Satan himself. The next man elected to the position of President will have the opportunity to potentially appoint 2 Supreme Court Chief Justices. What a profound effect this will have on our nation. McCain will appoint a judge who is Pro-Life and Obama will sign into law legislation that will legalize any and all abortions-at any point in a woman's pregnancy.

As I pray for our nation, I also pray for the souls of our nation's politicians who will one day answer for their actions to legalize the killing of unborn children in our nation. I have no doubt that the two children with whom God has blessed me were alive at the moment they were conceived. They were alive when I saw their first heartbeat. They were alive as I saw them kick their feet and suck their thumbs on an ultrasound and I can promise that those babies were alive as I felt them move and kick inside my womb. They were as alive then as they were when they were delivered into the world.

"Dear Heavenly Father, I come to you tonight with a heavy heart that is greatly burdened by the ills of our society. As I think about the choices that we as a nation have made I am ashamed. That we have strayed so far from the Godly values that this great nation was founded upon is more than this woman can imagine. Dear Lord, you have more power and more authority than any politician could ever dream of. Please Lord use your Might to change the hearts and minds of so many Americans who have gone astray from your Word. More than ever, Lord, we need you. We yearn for you. We so desperately need to return to the values and ideals that allow our children to feel safe and protected. I pray for the future that we are creating for Ella and Lucy. Oh, Lord, hear my plea. In Your name we pray, Amen."

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14 NIV)

If men strive, and hurt a women with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life" (Ex.21:22-23).

2 comments:

Amy said...

Kate,
I know the feeling. I just got off the phone with Christi and was telling her about my voting experience this morning. As I pulled into the parking lot, I said a prayer for all of the voters entering the election office. I had to wait in line about 5 minutes before getting to vote, and as I stood there, I said another prayer asking God to guide each voter as he cast his/her ballot. The longer I stood there, a sick feeling came over me. I felt a bit clammy and my eyes began to water. All I could think about was, who each person was voting for and how I hoped it was God's will. Cindy finally checked my voter's registration and as I stepped up to my booth. I became nervous. I reviewed my ballot 4 times with the fear of accidently hitting the wrong button, before I finally confirmed my vote, saying yet another prayer when I left the parking lot. We must keep praying! Satan will not win this battle!

Ivan said...

Thank you for your comments. I know your mother and father as I worked with the Tennessee Baptist Children's Homes for 14 years.
I have a grand son born after two failed attempts, he is a miricle and a joy, I glad my daughter and her husband did not give up. Even the never born are still important to my daughter and her heart was touched by each.
Again,
Thank you,
Ivan