Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Mother's Love

Since my introduction to blogging, I have enjoyed searching the "favorite" sites of my friends' blogs. My new friend, Sarah, has a great blog. She is listed as The Sullivans on my favorite's list. She recently added this site to her favorites : http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/.

I don't think she will mind me sharing this, so hear goes. She recently lost a baby. A little boy to be exact. She had only carried him a short time, 5 or 6 months. Short, being a very relative term. She wears a beautiful necklace with his name engraved on it. The necklace was one of the very first things I noticed when I met her. I guess it is because I wear a necklace with my girls' names on it, too. Soon after meeting Sarah we were invited to dinner at her house. The topic eventually turned to Thomas, her son, and she proceeded to show me the momentos of his "short" life. The thing that stood out the most to me was his footprints. They had to be no more than an inch or two. Just tiny. I stood in her bedroom, vertually a complete stranger, and began to cry. I ached for her and tried to sympathize with her sorrow.

The website listed above is the story of a mother's love for the baby she too lost. I began to read it tonight and wept at my computer. I finally realized that I had cried for Sarah as a mother, not a friend. The love a mother feels for her children could only have been endowed by the Heavenly Father himself. There is no other human emotion that can rival that love.

So as my heart aches for Sarah, the mother in her blog, and the countless mothers who have lost children, I think about the love of Christ. Oh the agony of watching your child suffer and die.

Thank you Lord Jesus for my beautiful, healthy, joyfull girls. If I am never blessed with another child, may I be so madly in love with You, them and life that I would know true fulfillment.

No comments: